About the Book
If you could grow your business simply by marketing to your existing customers, making money would be a cakewalk. But to generate new revenue, you have to win over the customers you’re not getting. Who are these mystery customers? How are they different from your current clientele? Most importantly, how do you forge a bond with them across these differences?
Using real-world examples from successful business owners, “How to Market to People Not Like You” demonstrates how to create a deep, emotional connection between your products and new consumers. Forget “spray and pray” promotion. It’s time to narrowcast, get to know, and then deliver a welcoming message to a specific group. You have to research new customer segments and learn what they need. Then modify your product offerings to communicate that you value that customer. You say to them, “I see you, I value you, and I want you. I’m putting out this welcome mat just for you.” This book can take you from tentative newcomer to trusted name among any community.
- The do’s and don’ts of marketing to women, immigrants, Hispanics, African Americans, Asians, gays and lesbians and different generations
- How to identify the key value differences according to political views, sexuality, hobbies, rural vs. metro areas, military vs. civilian cultures, vegetarians vs. omnivores, and much more
- How to tweak your product or service to be relevant to a new customer group
- How to communicate in a relevant manner by showing respect for others’ cultures, values, language and priorities
- How to create messaging that resonates with each generation’s unique values
- How to make your business or product operationally ready and operationally friendly, meaning that you can make a customer feel comfortable throughout a transaction
- Understanding your customers’ values is the key to truly reaching them on an emotional level, because who you are is not defined by your age, your country of origin, or the color of your skin—it’s about your values. Understand that, and you will reach new customers’ hearts, minds, and, ultimately, their wallets.
Why do you need “How to Market to People Not Like You”?
The world is more diverse than ever before. For the first time in the U.S., one in three Americans is not White. Globally, only 20% of the world’s population is White. And Canada has one of the most diverse populations on the planet. Every brand, company and product is scrambling to learn how to tap into new and diverse market segments to grow business.
Diversity marketing is the new norm, and this doesn’t simply mean racial diversity. Diversity comes in many forms: gender, race, age, lifestage, language preference, religion, sexuality, and hobbies or special interests are all ways in which people’s differences are recognized.
By recognizing these differences and tailoring your product, message or marketing efforts to reflect consumers’ uniqueness, you are validating the importance of a consumer group. It’s about marketing to values, not demographic profiles.
But how do you do this without making mistakes or potentially offending a new market segment or looking foolish? This book will show you, step by step, how to
- Identify the customer group you’re not getting, but should be,
- Research that group and learn what it needs,
- Adapt your product, your service or your marketing message to reach a new group in a meaningful way and how to avoid the mistakes that careless companies make.
You will learn exactly how to cultivate new and diverse customer segments with confidence. Do’s and don’ts are covered in detail. Hundreds of real life, real world examples – good and bad – are shared so that you better understand how others have done this successfully.
The #7 Bestselling Business Book of 2011!
"How to Market to People Not Like You" is a 2011 Business Book Bestseller. After frequent appearances on the monthly list, the book came in at #7 on the 2011 ranking by Inc. magazine and leading business book reseller 800-CEO-READ. The annual rankings are based on total sales numbers, as well as length of time and rank on the monthly list.
Meet Kelly McDonald
Kelly McDonald is president of McDonald Marketing, named one of the top ad agencies in the U.S. by Advertising Age. Despite her blond hair and blue eyes, Kelly is an expert in multicultural marketing and marketing to consumer values. She has been featured on CNBC, in BusinessWeek, on CNNMoney.com and on Sirius/XM Radio.
Read the First Chapter
Want to read the first chapter of “How to Market to People Not Like You”? Click below to take a peek inside!
Sign Me Up
Want to stay up to date on additional content, discussions and event dates in your area? Sign up below and we’ll keep you informed of events in your area and book-related updates. No spam, ever.